Should You Hire a Professional Painter Or Do It Yourself?
Posted by Sam Sundeleaf on Friday, March 31, 2017
We live in a DIY world...
“Do it yourself” is an anthem that rings through home improvement shows and websites, showcasing radical transformations and proud homeowners. Resources like Youtube have also opened the door to tutorials that are further empowering ambitious DIYers. Whether you’re installing a hot water heater or re-caulking your tub, you can find a video showing you how to do it.
On one hand, this is great! Rolling up your sleeves and stepping outside your comfort zone to tackle something new is a healthy part of owning a home. And, in some cases, you can save money while enjoying that priceless sense of accomplishment.
Other times, however, you might find yourself in a bit deeper than you’d like to be.
7 Benefits of Hiring a Professional Painting Company
- Safety - It doesn’t get much more practical than this. Exterior painting can be dangerous, especially when it involves ladders, staging, or even lifts. Pros are experienced, trained, and have all the right safety equipment.
- Fully-Insured - A reputable, respectable painting company will be fully-insured, protecting your home and assets in case of any sort of accident or property damage.
- Expertise - As helpful as Youtube can be, there is just no substitute for years of training, craftsmanship, and extensive product knowledge.
- Surface Prep - Painting involves so, so much more than just applying paint. Repairing dry rot, replacing damaged wood, sanding, patching, and more are all aspects of the process that need to be navigated. Skip one of these early steps and you’re only setting your project up for failure.
- Longevity - A properly prepped surface and well-chosen, skillfully-applied products will last a long time. DIY projects, no matter how well-intentioned, often don’t enjoy that kind of lifespan. And this, in turn, drives up your costs and eliminates that savings you were working toward.
- Clean Up - Many DIY-ers don’t consider how to contain and clean up their project. We can safely assume you don’t want to be stepping on paint chips for the next few years! A skilled painter will leave no sign that they were there other than the fresh surfaces.
- Efficiency - A team of painters with the right tools and equipment can transform your home in a fraction of the time it takes one or two inexperienced people. Don’t spend a summer on your step ladder... We’re guessing you have a lot of things you’d rather be doing.
- Warranties - Pros offer priceless peace of mind!
At the end of the day, asking whether or not you should paint your own house is a little like asking whether you should try replacing the brakes on your car yourself. Technically you could, perhaps, but is it really worth it?