Is Black Interior Paint Right for Your Home?
Posted by Sam Sundeleaf on Monday, August 28, 2017
This is an interesting year for interior paint colors. Lighter neutrals are popular, ranging from warm shades of white and gray to natural, earthy colors, delivering a valuable versatility. These options are more of a backdrop than a statement, providing a stylish undercurrent without drawing too much attention.
On the other end of the spectrum (literally), dark, bold interior paint is also finding its way into local homes. And, none is darker or bolder than black itself.
As a real example, take a look at this trending option from Sherwin-Williams:
5 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Choosing Black Interior Paint
- Do you have plenty of natural light? - Because black absorbs light, a room that doesn’t have plenty of light will quickly turn the corner from cozy and comfy to feeling a bit like a dark box. Artificial light can help, but nothing replaces sunlight.
- What size is your room? - Black in a smaller space can be risky, unless you have that ample light we mentioned above. Interestingly enough, however, rooms that are expected to be small, like hallways or bathrooms, can look unique and stunning with black paint. A small living room, on the other hand, might not be as good a candidate.
- Do you want to start small? - Test the waters with an accent wall! This is a great way to see how black interacts with your room’s light and decor.
- What will your black paint draw attention to? - Unlike many other bolder color choices, black tends to make surrounding colors stand out even more. Trim and door colors in particular will suddenly pop like never before, so be sure you have a plan in place to coordinate these other elements in the palette.
- Make wise sheen choices - A little fuzzy on what we mean when we say sheen? Never fear; we dedicated a whole blog to the topic (you can read all about it right here). We recommend a more forgiving sheen, like satin, unless you’re painting in an extremely high-traffic space.
Talk To Your Local Interior Painter
Like most colors, black carries a unique set of challenges and considerations you need to skillfully navigate for the best possible result. We recommend contacting your local painting company to discuss all of your needs, goals, and colorful opportunities.
If you live in the Portland, OR area, be sure to contact us at Sundeleaf Painting. It would be our pleasure to serve you!