House painting isn’t easy, and there’s a lot on the line! A project that isn’t done right can damage your home’s value and style, while also creating a messy, sometimes expensive headache. That’s why many homeowners look to professional painters to make sure every detail is handled correctly, delivering the best results possible.
This leaves just one question: how do you find the right professional painting contractor?
Here are a few key considerations to keep in mind.
How Do You Find Reputable Painting Contractors?
- Turn to the internet, searching for “house painters near me.” Once you have those results in-hand, it’s time to take an even deeper look.
- Be sure to check their longevity. Just because a painting company has been around a long time doesn’t ALWAYS mean they’re good, but in the majority of cases it points to local commitment and quality.
- Follow them on social media. Facebook and Instagram can offer a real window into the type of work they do, and the pride they take in their paint jobs.
- Ask friends and family if they have experience with a specific painting company. Referrals are a primary lead source for reputable painting companies who work hard to build trust and relationships with clients.
How To Choose the Right Painting Contractor
Maybe you’re down to just a couple candidates now, and are comparing estimates. How do you know which is “the one”?
- Ask for references. Like we mentioned above, a good painting company has nothing to hide, and will have happy clients who are willing to spread the word.
- Ask if they have a specific paint manufacturer they like to use, and why. This can give you a look into their experience, product knowledge, and attention to detail.
- Look for a clear, detailed estimate that outlines the exact steps involved in your painting project, including the process, types of paint they’re going to use, paint colors, and the timeline of your painting job.
- Make sure you also know what level of painting prep is included, and whether any surface repairs are needed. Full transparency is key, and it starts with your estimate.
- Is your time valued? Focused, prompt communication is essential, from the first call to job scheduling.
- Is your painting contractor fully licensed and insured? If not, you can be held liable for job site injuries or damage, and that’s not a position you want to be in.
- Does your house painter use employees or subcontractors? The subcontractor model can work well in some cases, but overall it’s best to have dedicated, in-house employees that are accountable.
We hope this is a helpful rundown of what to look for, and what to avoid! If you have any additional questions about your Portland house painting project, please reach out.