Does Paint Quality Matter for Your Exterior Painting Project?
Posted by Sam Sundeleaf on Wednesday, March 08, 2017
Let’s imagine you’ve got the right weather, the right tools, the right motivation, the right colors, and you’re ready to get your painting project off the ground.
But do you have the right product?
Or, if you’re hiring a professional exterior painter, you might be questioning the paint that they recommend using. Are all paints created equal, or is there really a difference between the bottom and top-shelf options?
Know Your Exterior Paint
To understand the product, we need to first take a look at the recipe. And that, of course, requires being familiar with the ingredients.
- Solvent - Liquid that ensures the binders and pigments stay in a suspended state until after they’re applied
- Binders - Come together to create the paint film as the solvent evaporates
- Additives - Determine drying time and other features of the curing process unique to the paint you choose
- Pigment - This is essentially the color of your paint, made with naturally-occurring and manufactured components
These ingredients are where the rubber really meets the road, and their quality determines (to a large degree) how successful your endeavors will be. Cheap paint products may be initially attractive, but the coverage is often poor, the colors change and fade over time, and the durability just isn’t there.
In the long-run, painting every few years is much more expensive than painting every 8-10.
The other key component of a lasting exterior painting project is an investment in thorough cleaning, repairs, and priming (as needed). A healthy, prepared surface covered with the right products is set up for success, but a poor quality paint applied over compromised siding is doomed.
What Are the Benefits of Using Quality Exterior Paint?
- Color retention - It stays true to the color you fell in love with
- Longevity - More years between repaints/touch-ups
- Durability - Paint has to deal with a lot! UV rays, rain and snow, temperature fluctuations, and more
- Ease of Application - Good paint goes a long way, providing an additional savings
- Enduring Value - A well-painted home offers a strong return on investment
Find the Right House Painting Company to Meet Your Needs
If you live in the Portland, OR, area, be sure to contact us at Sundeleaf Painting to discuss your goals. It would be our pleasure to serve you!